Wednesday, August 20, 2008

O, Pioneers!

On the 24th of July, we went to a Pioneer Day activity with Grandma and Grandma Anson. They had the kids dress as pioneers and wear name tags of pioneer ancestors. The kids loved it. I even made Ally's skirt all by myself without a pattern -- a very pioneerish feat for me. Sariah wore a dress that was actually mine when I was a little girl. Zac was Rufus Allen his 4th great grandfather. Rufus was a scout for Brigham Young. Zac liked the part about him protecting the company from Indians. Ally was Caroline Saunders, her 5th great grandmother. Sariah was Polly Child, her 5th great grandmother as well. Both Polly and Caroline walked across the plains. I am grateful for ancestors who kept records so that we can know about their lives. I know I need to be better in that respect.

The Saturday before, we had a pioneer parade at our Stake Center for the primary kids. The kids enjoyed that activity as well. They walked around the block and had a popsicle at the end.
Zac was not entirely impressed. He got tired and hot about halfway through. Good thing we didn't have to walk all day. Joseph gave him a hard time about his hat, calling him a Newsie. What are dads for?

No comments: