Saturday, October 3, 2009

Pickles, Pigtails and Parades






At the end of August, Mom Anson came over for pickle day. I love her pickle recipe and so does Joseph. It was an all day adventure the was interrupted by taking kids to school, picking them up and a few trips to the grocery store. Brook and Ally had fun "helping." They were actually little angels and did a great job of entertaining themselves while we worked. Mom and I were both exhausted by the end, but there is such a feeling of accomplishment when you hear the seals pop and see your jars cooling on the counter. I felt downright domestic. Thanks, Mom.



During September we had our share of sick days. Now I know why my Aunt, an amazing mother of six, said that the words "stomach flu" strike fear in the hearts of moms with young children. Everyone got a turn this time, at least once. I am really ready to be done. What does this have to do with pigtails? It was one of those sick days for Sariah. Mom needed a change of pace. So, I decided it was a great day for new hairdos. Brook got her first set of pigtails. She looked adorable and she knew it. (Even when she was picking her nose. Sorry, Brook, I couldn't resist.)



It has become a Labor Day tradition to go to the Onion Days Parade. Usually it is a bit of a let down after the big 4th of July parade. This year we were pleasantly surprised. The parade was longer and better than it has been since we started going. The kids collected quite a pile a candy and flyers for everything under the sun. One group even threw out popsicles. We had a great time. We spent the rest of the day canning pears. We took a break for a barbeque at Mom and Dad's. Another long day but we enoyed the "fruits" of our labors -- literally.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love your cute picture at the top.

Chris 'n Leah said...

I too am LOVIN' the new family picture at the top of the page! You are a beautiful family.