Sunday, March 7, 2010

Brooklyn the Explorer!

A neighbor gave Ally a blue backpack that floated around our house until Brook claimed it. Now, they are inseparable. Sometimes when she dons the backpack, she becomes Dora the Explorer. Other times it is just a backpack. It is always full of envelopes. I am not sure where the fascination came from, but she loves envelopes, especially if they are decorated with pink crayon. I bet she has at least 20 that she carries around.


Ally gets cast as her faithful sidekick, Boots, and they have grand adventures together. Sometimes that game changes to Diego and Alicia and they run around the house calling each other on their video watches. Many animals have been saved from predators, mudslides and other impending doom. On occasion, I get to play, too. Usually I am "Dora's Mom." Which means that when Brook says, "Hi, Dora's Mom," I have to respond with "Hi, Dora. What is your adventure today?" It can come in handy when I need her to put on her "adventure clothes" or hurry to the "rescue van." A few days ago it was a little embarrassing when the game was in full tilt in the grocery store. The girls informed me that I was Linda the Llama. (I think she is in an episode of Diego.) They loudly called, "Rapido, Linda!" or "Despacio, Linda!" when they wanted me to push the cart faster or slower. Asking them to please use softer voices did not really work. But, I got to just be Dora's Mom again when Brook suddenly looked at me and said, "Hey, Linda doesn't have arms." I apologized for having two arms and agreed to their suggestion that I just be the mom in the game. They really were disappointed. I guess I am just not cut out to be a llama.


Even an explorer's day must come to an end. This is what we found one night as we checked on her before going to sleep. Buenas Noches, mi hijita preciosa.

No comments: