Sunday, May 15, 2011

In the Blink of an Eye


Literally, it feels like Sam has grown up in the blink of an eye. Yes, it is cliche, but how else do you describe it? With another cliche maybe? However you say it, he is way too big, way too fast. So here is a look at a few accomplishments I managed to snap a picture of as I was trying to keep up with my big boy.

Sam was so pleased with himself when he got up on all fours. It took awhile to get everything working together, but when he took off, he never looked back. Crawling opened up a whole new world. (Now he just giggles as he walks from room to room.)

Once he was mobile, he was into EVERYTHING! He was thrilled when he learned to open drawers in the kitchen. All of the kids have loved the drawer of Tupperware lids, and Sam was no exception. I just had to dodge the messes he made as I fixed dinner. He gives his grandma fits when we go to visit because she has lots of cupboards and drawers to explore.

Of course, not all milestones are pleasant. Sam has had his first few ear infections, too. And, he decided to share. At one point I had nine bottles of Amoxicillin in my fridge. Everyone but Zac had at least one infected ear. Sam and Brook had double ear infections. That was crazy! Lucky for us, Sam loves the pink stuff. He gets excited when he sees me shaking the bottle.

He pretty much loves to eat anything. He has taken to solid foods like nobody's business. Some of his favorites are strawberries, grapes, bananas, bread, yogurt and cheese. He wants to try everything we have. Most of the time we let him. He loves his milk and is learning to drink from a sippy cup, too. I still won't let Joseph give him bacon. He needs more teeth for that:)

Sam is my first dumpster diver. Luckily, he has not found anything too icky yet. (Although, "icky" is one of his new words, along with "cookie" so I guess we're OK). We have since replaced our garbage can with one that is a little sturdier and more Sam proof.

Self discovery is a painful process. (I almost saved this picture for it's very own post.) Sam discovered that his finger fits perfectly in his nose. It also fits in others' noses and ears. This is a discovery that delights his siblings, his older brother in particular. I am not sure why he was crying this time. I think he was ready to get down and mom kept taking pictures. But they are so cute-and confined-in their high chairs. I couldn't resist snapping a few more.

Sam loves to share, too. He tries to share his food and his pacifier. Lately I think he is trying to give hugs as well. He just toddles over to someone and leans his head on them. Then he looks up with a big grin and toddles away.

He has also started to point. I love it. He points at the family pictures on the wall. He points to what he wants to eat or play with. He points to random things that make no sense. He is just a fun kid. He is cute and clever and so proud of himself. We are proud of him, too. I just wish he would slow down a bit.

1 comment:

Joe Average Writer said...

I still can't figure out which is my favorite picture. Too bad the kid looks like his dad and brother.