Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Grand Adventure!

This summer was truly magical. I think I am still in denial that it is over. We had the opportunity to take a six week vacation. Laura came out and then drove with the kids and me back to North Carolina where we spent the majority of our time. Joseph stayed in Utah so he could finish his summer classes for his doctorate degree. Then he flew out to join us. We spent some time in NC together and all drove home together via St. Louis where we visited with more cousins.

It was an amazing trip and I tried to soak up every minute of it. I can honestly say that I truly "got away." I was able to let go of all my responsibilities and most of my worries and just enjoy time with people I love. What a true luxury. I had to remind myself, "Oh yeah, I do have a house and friends and a life somewhere else." There were times I truly did not care if I came back home. Mind you, most of those times were on the beach:) That's when I had to remind myself that if I truly lived in NC, I would not live at my mom's house and get to play all the time. It was all a wonderful illusion.

Of course, it is good to be home and back to "real life." I am grateful for the memories we made, some of which I will attempt to share in the posts that follow. Thanks to Mom and Dad for letting us invade their house. Thanks to Donny and Katy for sharing Laura with us and for coming to visit everyday. Thanks to Laura for the fun road trip. Thanks to Toni, Kevin and the girls for all the trips back and forth to Greensboro. Thanks to Brian for being an amazingly patient Uncle. Thanks to Emily and Chris for coming to play with us, too. Thanks to David and Amy and company for showing us St. Louis and for letting us crash in your basement. And thanks to Joseph for enduring a brief stint of bachelorhood so we could have extra time at the beach. Mostly, thanks to my kids for being such great sports about all we did. Now you definitely have something to say when you're asked what you did on your summer vacation!

No comments: