Sunday, December 26, 2010

Back to School


Before we knew it, it was time to head back to school. We all mourned the easy going summer days. I love having my kids home and there is an actual ache in my heart when it is time to send them back. I was a little lost those first few days. I missed my kids. It does make it easier knowing that they like school and that we go to an amazing elementary school.

Zac is in second grade and hit the jackpot this year. His three best friends are in his class, along with other friends he enjoys. His teacher is great, too. He still comes home filthy from his recess adventures. He is learning and gaining confidence. He made a goal to read 8,000 minutes this year. He is on track and will make it as long as we can keep finding Star Wars books to read.

Third grade has been a bit of an adjustment for Sariah. Her best friend moved and her other favorite friend is in another class. She is making new friends and is still as social as ever. I get regular phone calls from Sariah just to let me know how her day is going. The secretary recently called with a "message" from Sariah. I guess Sariah had tried to call, the phone was busy and the secretary promised to keep trying. Sariah needed me to know that she was in charge of the treat for family night and she wanted chocolate chip cookies and if she waited until after school to tell me, I would not have time to make them. Dad stopped for cookies on his way home and we had a little chat about appropriate uses of the phone at school. I love that girl. And I love the secretaries and teachers at school who love her, too.



My sweet Ally started Kindergarten! Can I really have three kids in school? Yikes. She was beyond ready. Ally LOVES school and her teacher. She has the same teacher Zac and Sariah had; she's amazing. Ally is a great reader. Her favorite books are Dr. Seuss and Magic Treehouse. Just the other day she was whipping through a new book and she looked at me and said, "You just can't stop this great reader!" I love that confidence. She got to decorate a paper doll Ally to bring on her first day. She thoroughly enjoyed that project and all others that have come home since. I have learned to let her do it. Any suggestion I make is immediately rejected, even when she asks for it. She'll say, "Mom, what color should I color the house?" I'll say, "How about blue?" Ally: "Naw. I want to color it red." She definitely has a mind of her own. She is a social butterfly and probably needs a calendar to keep track of all her play date invitations. What will Jr. High be like? You are right; I don't want to know.

And Brook? She was just as excited as the big kids. She keeps me company and helps take care of Sam. She loves to help me run errands while the kids are at school. But her favorite thing is when she can have a friend come over and play. Before I even know it she'll be off to school herself. Time goes too fast. I just have to soak in these days when the world is still full of wonder for them. It will be gone in the blink of an eye.

No comments: