Sunday, December 26, 2010

Hodge Podge

Warning: This is a long post and the events are not in any kind of order. This is a collection of moments from Spring and Summer 2010 that did not merit a post of their own, but that we wanted to remember. Ally and Zac took swimming lessons. They did well. It was our first time at the public pool (previous summers we have gone to a private pool) and I liked the convenience of having lessons at the same time every day for two weeks as opposed to dragging it out over a month. Sariah and Brook opted out this time.

We had the chance to catch up with some of Joseph's Illinois friends. The kids had a blast running around in the fun backyard. When Brook, Ally and cousin Rachel hopped in the bucket together, I couldn't resist. It turned out to be one of my favorite pictures of the summer.

We caught the Onion Days parade on Labor Day. It is not as big or long as the 4th of July parade, but the kids love it and we love that it is so much less crowded.

Sariah loves her grandparents. In third grade they put on a program just for grandparents. This is the picture we sent to the slide show.


One night we decided to have "kabob night." We had kabobs with grilled chicken, veggies and pineapple. The kids built their own fruit kabobs to go with it. We even thought about dessert kabobs. They never made it past the planning stage. Maybe next time.

We spent a lot of time in the water. Brook and cousin Benjamin had fun in Grandpa's backyard even after the pool had drained.



With a new baby, we decided not to try a "real" camp out in the canyon. We pacified the kids with a camp out in the backyard. Sam was so impressed he fell asleep when we went out to visit the kids. The kids were beyond excited. They wanted to stay up until it was completely dark so they could see the stars. We played UNO and read books. That was a bit of an exercise in frustration as the kids were HYPER. Sam and I slept inside and Brook joined us after an unsuccessful try in the tent. When it did get dark, it was a little much for her. Props to Joseph for sticking it out with the other three.


We discovered a new favorite family activity. Joseph has a projector in his classroom that is hooked up to his computer and projects onto the big screen. We can put a movie in and pretend we are at the theater. The kids love it. We have even watched a football game online up on the big screen.

Brook and Ally are great friends. They can lose themselves for hours in their games. One morning they had their dolls all lined up on the couch. Another time they were playing dolls and Brook told me I could play. She said I had eight kids and they were all crying. I asked her what I should do. She said, "Take a nap."

Zac lost teeth left and right. I kind of miss his big toothless grin. His permanent front teeth have grown in now and make him look too grown up.

We got a new kitchen table. It was bittersweet. Our old table belonged to my great grandparents and then to my grandparents. I have many memories of eating at Grandma's house at the yellow formica table. My grandma let us borrow it when she moved. We've used it for about 9 years. It was hard to give it up. My kids were 5th generation Walkers to eat at that table. Imagine all the family meals shared around that table. Yes, I am sentimental about those kind of things. I do enjoy our "new" hand-me-down table. It fits our family and our space better. In this picture, Joseph is working on grading papers for the online class English class we "teach." It has been the perfect side job for us and has been an amazing blessing for our family.

A rare pregnant picture. That is one regret I have; I do not have many pictures of me while I am pregnant. I am one of those weird moms that truly enjoys being pregnant, aches and pains included. This one is about a month before Sam was born.

Ally and her friend are hilarious together. I am not sure which superheroes they are here, but it was a great game. Although, they have since informed us that they have "broken up." Not to worry, they are still great friends and us moms still hold out hope for the future.

No comments: